Build-a-Move Workshop

Alright, let’s see if this goes anywhere.

First off, this topic will hopefully be of help to people who want to start creating moves.
Over the last few months there have been a few people who said they wanted to try creating moves, but didn’t know where to start, or tried it and thought it was overwhelming, and there might be others who are interested in waza, but never said anything. This topic is for you.
If you’re just looking for move files, you are not the target audience.

This is also not a catch-all tutorial, rather, if there’s interest, this will be a place for DIY instructions to get you started and help you get familiarized with several aspects of wazamake.

I’ve done something similar back in the Returns days and taught a few people how to create edits and logos, this is another go at the same idea.
Carl did something similar with his DIY mod videos.

Lastly, before we start, you need a 1.02 installation of World, the move creator mod (waza) and you need to have the in-game bytes exported.
If you’re missing any of that, there are other tutorials that can help you set this up.

Alright!
To start, I’ll show you how to create a simple move variation, which I always though was missing in Fire Pro, the 10 Count Punch in the corner.
Like this:

I’ve chosen this move because it’s very basic and doesn’t need any advanced functions of the tool yet (c-values etc.)

1. Start World and start waza via the mod menu.

2. When waza has loaded, load the file Mount Knuckle Arrow.bytes in the CornerGrapple folder.
    https://i.imgur.com/Q70coow.png

3. For this move, we’ll need the file open twice, so click on a different line on the left (1 to 10) and load the same file again.
    https://i.imgur.com/t4ljf4Z.png

4. Now click on the 1st line again, this is the move we’ll edit (we’ll return to the second version later). Either click the last option on the menu that pops up, or click into the move preview window to get rid of it.

5. On the left side there are 4 rows and one of them has a while circle in it. Those are the animation paths. The amount of paths depends on the move, since this is a starter move, it’s one with only two paths. So, click on the field next to the 1 and you’ll see the sprite of the opponent appear.
    https://i.imgur.com/uSPV5Sf.png

6. Make sure to click on the field for animation path 0 again (the long field to the right of the 0 and the circle), so you are working with that.

7. Down below you see the actual frames of the move. We won’t work with c-values and other positioning for this move, which will come in a later tutorial. For now click on some of the frames to look at the animation. Don’t worry about the positioning inside waza, you’ll get used to that.

8. Alright, now you’ll want to look for specific frames: the actual punch. As you’ll see, the same frames cycle a few times. Specifically you’ll notice that the actual punch starts with the frame ID (on the very right) 21364 and ends with two frames with the ID 21369.
    https://i.imgur.com/UxXi1pd.png

9. Now on to the actual work. Firstly, make sure you have selected animation path 0. Secondly, click and drag your mouse to select frames 25 through 31. Press ctrl-C to copy these frames.
    https://i.imgur.com/rL2eGtb.png

10. Select frame 32 and press ctrl-V to paste the frames we just copied. Now do this 6 more times, always selecting the frame right after the ones you just filled in.

11. Next up, select animation path 1 and select & copy frames 25 through 31 on there.
    https://i.imgur.com/rD3UmYH.png

12. Make sure to paste it the exact amount of times as you did earlier, so 7 times in total. Your move should now be up to frame 80 for both animation paths.

13. Now it’s time to select the second version of the move we loaded up earlier.

14. Scroll down the frames for animation path 0 until you reach frame 46. As you can see the frame comes after one with the ID 21369, but it isn’t 21364, it’s 21370, that’s because a different animation starts here, specifically the dismount.
    https://i.imgur.com/UsFxesA.png

15. Now use what you’ve learned so far and select the remaining frames from 46 to the end of the move and copy & paste them over to the move we are editing (slot 1), starting at frame 81. Make sure you copy to the correct animation path (0 or 1).

16. Let’s save what we have so far. Just click the following option and save your move in the NewMoves folder.
    https://i.imgur.com/PiQ9Nkb.png

17. Alright, almost done, only 2 things left. First look through the frames of animation bank 0 and make sure that there is only one D in the D column. It should be at frame 78. This is the damage marker, so this is where the damage actually happens.

18. If you want to add a bit of flair to the move, an easy way is to make the attacker wind up their last punch. To make them to that, look for the frames of the last punch and select the one where the arm is at the peak of the movement. Should be frame 75. Next to the frame number is another number, that’s the animation length. Raise it to whatever you seem fit, I chose 25. Now set frame 75 on animation path 1 to the exact same length.
    https://i.imgur.com/o1AGreK.png

19. Save the move again.

20. And that’s it! Maybe your first move, maybe you Xth move, but either way, it’s your move.
    Well done and enjoy.

You only need to import the bytes file now, as shown in different tutorials around here.

If this was interesting or proved helpful to anybody I’ll continue with more step by step tutorials.
We’ll see.

Anyway, give waza a try. It’s a lot of fun and very satisfying to see your edits perform your own moves.

Dakota's FPW Gallery - Moves, Edits and Rings

Cool tutorial dakotak!
Nice to see someone doing it for the community

This was EXTREMELY helpful, and as a result, I was in fact able to create the 10 punch mount knuckle arrow with slight pause at the end. This almost makes me feel like I can now use waza, so mission accomplished! :slight_smile:
I think there are two places it could be more “idiot-proof” - as the resident idiot, one tripped me up and the other could have.

First, steps like 4 or 13 trigger a Japanese sub-menu (selection of a bytes file) - I don’t know if there’s an option that turns it off or not, but that’s what happens on my end every single time I click a bytes file. I understood from the translation screens to always choose the last option, but something you might want to include in the tutorial as I’m sure that will throw off someone who’s only read the above.

Second, I took step 10 too literally. I literally hit ctrl-V seven times, which of course just copied it over top of itself. I then tried to select frame 32 and hit ctrl-V seven times in a row, which of course did the same thing but with the extra selection step. I finally realized that what I should be doing was selecting frame 32, hitting ctrl-V, then moving to the end of that section, select and hit ctrl-V, etc. I will say that reference to 80 frames in step 12 was very helpful - without that, I don’t think I would have gotten past step 10.

Finally, a question. My window for frames is pretty small even with Waza running full-screen (I can’t seem to get it to run less than that), so it’s hard to select a bunch of frames at once. Is there a way to select in batches? I’ve tried holding ctrl or shift, clicking the mouse, etc. but can only seem to select by clicking and scrolling what is visible. Not a big deal as I can do the cut and pastes in sections, but if there’s a shortcut, I’d love to know it.

Thanks again for the tutorial. Very interested in any others you would feel like doing.

You can click on one and drag to highligh others. Its a pain in the ass you can get about 8 at time.

Sadly I may be doing it right then, as that’s about how many I get. I could swear one time I got it to stay in a window and to scroll with my mouse wheel - cursor looked like it wasn’t getting them all but it did. But I haven’t been able to get either of those things to happen for the last few hours.

So far I’ve made about 5 half moves that all look like crap. :slight_smile: But I’m getting there. Figuring out bits slowly but surely. Shame I didn’t have this lovely guide last week, but perhaps for the best as I used the time to finally convert to 2.0.

I’m happy that you found it helpful. And congratulations on your first move! Well done.

Also, thank you for your feedback, it’s appreciated and I’ll make some adjustments to the parts you mentioned.

Yeah, I’m also moving frames in batches, it’s what it is, but I don’t think it’s that bad really.

If it’s not ok to ask questions here (like if it’s cluttering a guide thread) please advise. Otherwise…

When I’m trying a two platon move, do I have to start from a two platon base, or can I start from something else, like a front grapple? So far, I can turn on person 3 but can’t seem to copy/paste bytes to him unless I start with a two platon move, which for the simple move I am doing, seems to give me unwanted frames at the end. I’m working around it by adjusting some of the animation times in the last frame and repeating it, but figured there’s probably an easier way.

1.I included your feedback in the tutorial.

2.I would suggest starting with a two platoon move, yes. Just take the Double Dropkick, that’s a short one.
There are a few reasons for that. The most important: the move you select as a base dictates how the game reads/the opponent reacts to the move. For example if you use a Powerbomb move as the base for a simple Kick, the counter animation will be a powerbomb-counter.
Also, on terms of a base move being “too long”. A simple way around that is to take the actual last frame of the move and just copy it over all the left over frames of the base move. Just make sure to set the c-values to 0 and the frame length to 1 on all those “filler frames”.

3.Yes, please keep questions to the Discord if possible.
I’d like to keep this topic as sleek as possible to enable easy navigation.